Monday, April 27, 2015

Best Ever Sourdough Biscuits

Last week I had a magical day. A sublime day. I still don't know how it happened.

I made 3 separate recipes that were SPECTACULAR (if I do say so myself... but the family did agree, in my defense).

Number one was a sublime molasses cookie recipe. I feel like I've made this recipe before, but I don't know, maybe the stars aligned or something. They turned out crisp/chewy, just the right amount of spice and sweet, and they lasted for a few days perfectly (until they all got chowed) in the TARDIS cookie jar. Yes, I have a TARDIS cookie jar. Find the recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/molasses-cookies/

Number two was a lovely wild rice cream of chicken soup. I'll post the base recipe here but I may go back and write more about this later since I did change some things. http://www.food.com/recipe/minnesota-cream-of-chicken-wild-rice-soup-134627

And Number three. Number three turned out to be the Best Ever Sourdough Biscuits. I've made biscuits before... and sourdough biscuits before... but these were fantastic. Light, buttery, just a hint of tangy sourdough. I've made them again and wow. Just wow. The beginning of this recipe is from www.tasteofhome.com, but you should try mine instead.

So -->
- Best Ever Sourdough Biscuit Recipe -


Prep/Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Makes: 12 Biscuits
Oven: 425 degrees F (I used 400 with convection)

Ingredients
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter
1 cup sourdough starter
1/3 cup of plain yogurt
1/6 cup milk (just put your yogurt in the measuring cup first, then add enough milk to reach 1/2 cup. I used skim milk but I bet 2% or whole would be even better)
Melted butter for tops after cooking

Directions
1. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix. Cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Great kid activity. E can attest.
2. Combine sourdough starter, yogurt and milk. Stir into the crumb mixture until the dough just holds together.
3. Turn onto a well-floured surface and knead 8-10 times until the mix begins to behave like dough. Then STOP or your biscuits will be tough. Roll or pat to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2.5" biscuit cutter. Place 2" apart on a greased baking sheet
4. Bake at 425 (or 400 convection) for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove and brush tops with butter (if wished) and allow to cool on a wire rack. They taste best when still warm! With honey! Yummm....

--------

Happy cooking you guys. If you make this recipe feel free to post comments or photos here or my facebook (www.facebook.com/knittyvet) or instagram (@knittyvet) or twitter (@knittyvet).

And remember I have a Mother's Day Shipping Sale at the KnittyVet Etsy shop right now - FREE SHIPPING on any order over $10! Just use the code MOMGIFT15 until Mother's Day.

Ok folks, thanks for reading, and enjoy those biscuits! Man, I'm so hungry now!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment